Official Name Mellifont Abbey
City Collon, Drogheda, Co. Louth
Telephone  (41) 982 6103
Community Email [email protected]
Superior Dom Rufus Pound, MSB, Monastic Commissary 2022
Juridical Status Abbey
Diocese Archidioecesis Armachana (Armagh)
OCSO Region ISLES
Founded in 1142 by Clairvaux; re-established in 1938 by Mount Melleray; raised to the rank of priory July 1, 1945, and to the rank of abbey Oct. 26, 1945.
1938: In the general chapter of 1938, abbot Celsus O’Connell of Mt Melleray received permission to purchase Oriel Temple, residence of Lord Massareene. It is situated about two or three miles from the site of the former abbey, destroyed by the reformers.
1945: A temporary church having been constructed and an enclosure set up, permission was given by the Definitory on 26 October for the canonical erection of the foundation into an abbey.
The community changed their stability on 21 November 1945, five years after the first arrival of the religious. On this day also the temporary church was blessed.
1957, 21 July: Celebrations of the 8th centenary of the consecration of the church of (Old) Mellifont. The president of Ireland, Cardinal D’Alton, and many Church and state dignitaries present at High Mass on site of old church. Foundation stone of new abbey church blessed the same evening.
Benignus HICKEY, Superior 21/11/1938 – 22/01/1946; Abbot 22/01/1946 – 06/01/1967
Gerard KENNEDY, Abbot 16/03/1967 – 03/04/1972 (v.19)
Vincent BYRNE, Superior ad nutum 04/06/1972 – 20/08/1974
Enda DUCEY, Abbot 21/08/1974 – 27/05/1980
Finnian POWER, Abbot 27/05/1980 – 27/05/1986
Francis PRENDERGAST, Abbot 27/05/1986 – 27/05/1992
Bernard BOYLE , Abbot 27/05/1992 – 27/05/2004
Augustine McGREGOR, Abbot 27/05/2004 – 27/05/2010
Bernard BOYLE, Superior ad nutum 2010
Laurence McDERMOTT, Superior ad nutum 2011 – 2012
Richard PURCELL, Pontifical Commissary 2014-2018
Brendan FREEMAN, Superior ad nutum 2018-24/11/2021
Station : Drogheda.