The monastery began on 7 August 1818 with six religious whom Dom Augustine de Lestrange brought from Forges (Orne). In October of the same year, the religious of the foundation of Bégrolles who had the place in 1817, came to join their sisters at Gardes. And in 1821 Dom Augustine transferred there also the whole community of Les Forges.
The nuns were made the guardians of the sanctuary N.D. des Gardes, a place frequented by pilgrims.
1828, 7 July: the duchess of Berry visits the monastery.
1838, 26 July: installation of the statue which is so venerated in Anjou and Vendée.
1875, 26 February: Mgr Freppel obtains His Holiness Pius IX’s brief permitting the crowning of Notre-Dame des Gardes.
1875, 7 August: Fr. Théophile, the chaplain, receives an audience with Pius IX, presenting him with the crown for the statue, which he blesses. 8 September: crowning of N.D. des Gardes by Mgr Freppel, bishop of Angers.
1899, 27 August: Mgr Rumeau blesses and places the first stone of the sanctuary.
1904, 28 August: the statue of Our Lady is transferred to the parish church to hide it from authorities.
1904, 6 September: inventory and seizure of the monastery.
1907, 22 – 27 March: farms of the community sold by the court of Cholet.
1911, 3 November: they are sold at auction, and repurchased by a benefactor.
1921 work on the sanctuary recommenced. Mgr Rumeau places the first stone.
1932 consecration of the chapel and main altar by Mgr Rumeau, bishop ofAngers.
1952, 3 May: solemn vows taken according to the constitution “Sponsa Christi”.