Bellefontaine

Adresse

Nom Officiel Abbaye N.-D. de Bellefontaine

06

Pays France

Ville Bégrolles en Mauges

Code Postal F-49122

Contact

Téléphone [33] (2) 41 75 60 40

Email Communauté [email protected]

Site www.bellefontaine-abbaye.com

Supérieur(e) Dom Jean-Marc Chéné, Abbé 2004

Autres Informations

Statut Juridique Abbey

Diocèse Dioecesis Andegavensis (Angers)

Région OCSO RéCiF

Fondée/Restaurée 1816

Origine

Established as a abbey around 1120; dispersion of the community in 1790; purchase of the monastery by Dom Urbain Guillet in 1816.

Histoire

It is known that a Benedictine priory existed at Bellefontaine in the 11thcentury.  Its origin and date of foundation are unknown.

Ca. 1120: establishment as a Benedictine abbey.

1642: 7 December: the commendatory abbot, Dom Michel Sublet, introduces the Feuillant reform, which lasts until the Revolution.

1790: dispersal of the four religious, of whom 1 was a lay-brother.

1791, 27 May: sale of the monastery as property of the state.

1793: the last commendatory abbot of Bellefontaine, Pierre-Leonard de Laage, dies in exile as a confessor of the faith.

1816, 4 May: on his return from [North] America, Dom Urbain Guillet purchases the first buildings of Bellefontaine and installs the Trappists.

1817, 2 April: death of Dom Urbain Guillet.  Dom de Lestrange appoints Dom Michel Le Fort, monk of La Trappe but resident of Bellefontaine for several years, superior of Bellefontaine.  The community of La Trappe had sought refuge at Bellefontaine because of certain difficulties encountered in the diocese of Seez.

1827, 13 August: election of Dom Michel le Port as abbot of Bellefontaine.  Mgr. Montault, bishop of Angers, requests the Holy See to raise Bellefontaine to the rank of abbey with Dom Michel le Fort as abbot.

1828, 26 September: confirmation by the Holy See of the election of Dom Michel le Fort as abbot of Bellefontaine.  This confirmation is, in fact, the Charter of the erection of the monastery as an abbey: the Act is registered by the Ordinary on 5 November, 1828.

1830: death of Dom Michel le Port, 27 February.

1845: Six monks are sent for the foundation of Staoueli in Algeria.

1849, 11 Oct.: Resignation of Dom Augustin de la Forest-Divonne, who withdraws to Fontgombaud, founded under his abbacy the same year.

1879, 21 September: consecration of the abbey church by Mgr. Freppel.

1880, 6 November: expulsion for 5 weeks (decrees of 29 March 1880).

1929: death of Dom Jean-Marie Chouteau on 28 Dec.

1957, 7 November: election of Dom Gabriel as abbot general.

1966: Inauguration of “Les editions de Bellefontaine”.

Fondations

Oka (1881); Prairies (1892); Kokoubou (1972)

Père Immédiat

La Trappe

Maisons filles

Val Notre-Dame (formerly Oka); ; Kokoubou; Les Gardes; L’Étoile Notre-Dame.
Prairies (1892 – 1936); Spencer (since 1952-2020); Cabanoule (until 1970), Mvanda (1990 – 2010).

Ancien(ne)s Supérieur(e)s

Jean-Marc CHENE — Abbot — 03/05/2004

Etienne BAUDRY  —  Abbot  —  08/09/1987 – 17/04/2004

Emmanuel COUTANT  —  Abbot  —  26/01/1952 – 15/08/1987

Gabriel SORTAIS  —  Abbot  —  06/05/1936 – 07/11/1951

Jean-Baptiste AUGER  —  Abbot  —  10/02/1930 – 01/04/1936

Jean Marie CHOUTEAU  —  Abbot  —  05/12/1866 – 28/12/1929

Fulgence GUILLAUME  —  Abbot (2nd time)  —  22/11/1850 – 29/11/1866

Augustin de la FOREST-DIVONNE  —  Abbot  —  17/07/1845 – 11/10/1849

Fulgence GUILLAUME  —  Abbot  —  07/07/1830 – 19/03/1845

Michel LE FORT  —  Appointed Superior  —  02/04/1817 – 13/08/1827

”         “          —  Elected Superior  —  13/08/1827 – 26/09/1828

”         “          —  Abbot  —  26/09/1828 – 27/02/1830

Urbain GUILLET  —  Founding Superior  —  04/05/1816 – 02/04/1817

Travail et Sources de Revenus

Farming, fruit trees, manufacture of fruit gums, store (religious books and food products), guesthouse.

Capacité d'Accueil

42 rooms

Moyens de transport

Gare SNCF, voyageurs: Cholet, 14 km.

Monastères

  • Sobrado

    Spain

  • Guimaras

    Philippines

  • Tilburg

    Netherlands