Under the initiative of D. Marie-Albert, abbot of Orval, who wanted to respond to Pope Pius XI’s desire for prayer and reparation (“Miserentissimus Deus” 1928, and “Caritate Christi compulsi” 1932), several young girls were gathered into a “Pious Union”.
1931, 29 August: first approbation of the statutes of the pious union by Mgr Heylen, bishop of Namur.
1934, 30 January: the 5 first young ladies are installed at Sorée in the diocese of Namur on a property which was offered to them and which was destined to become the first priory of the future congregation. A second priory was founded at Saint Gérard in the diocese of Namur. On 16 July, decree of erection of a “Society of Bernardines Reparatrices.” On 17 July, the Bl. Sacrament is placed in the tabernacle of Sorée.
1936, 16 June: approbation of the first draft of Constitutions. On 29 June, decree of erection of a diocesan institute, signed by Mgr Heylen, bishop ofNamur. On 16 July, ceremony of canonical erection presided over by Mgr Heylen and the temporary vows of the 4 religious.
1939, 15 March: letter of the Congregation for Rites allowing the sisters to follow the Cistercian calendar, recite the Cistercian breviary, and follow the Cistercian missal.
1940, 29 December: definitive approbation of the Cistercian constitutions, which had been approved by the Holy See 18 July 1933, with the modifications contributed by the different general chapters of the Cistercians. The Bernardines reparatrices also followed the Cistercian usages.
1941, 2 February: perpetual vows of the first 7 Bernardines. M. Julienne Angenot is named abbess.
1961, 5 August: the priory of Sorée is transferred to Brialmont-Tilff (diocese of Liège), on a property offered to us by the family of one of our sisters. Mgr van Zuylen, bishop of Liège, conferred the title of abbey.
1975, 19 September: responding to the request for integration into the Cistercian Order, the abbesses voted unanimously at their general chapter to accept them. On 16 December an indult of the Sacred Congregation for Religious ratifies the decision.
1976, 24 February: the 30 religious pronounce their solemn vows in the presence of Mgr van Zuylen, bishop of Liège, of R.P.D. Ambrose, abbot general, of R.P.D. Etienne Gillard, abbot of Orval, and other personnages. On 6 December the priory of St Gérard finally finds a purchaser, and the community rejoins Brialmont.
1981, 21 March: dedication of the church of Brialmont.
1985, 21 May: in the course of his visit to Belgium: Pope John-Paul II visits the abbey.